Thursday, March 24, 2016

Icelandic Candy



At the end of February my husband and I visited Iceland for our vacation.  It's always an adventure and so much fun to visit other places and cultures.

 In Iceland there were many things that were a bit of a culture shock to an American.  We enjoyed the delicious foods like lamb and lamb soup.  We marveled at the beautiful Icelandic hand knitted sweaters and blankets.  One of the most interesting things I came across, however, was the Icelandic candy called Lakkris!

While in Iceland, I had the opportunity to visit a grocery store. No giant grocery store with a pharmacy and everything in between like one sees in Virginia. A grocery store Iceland is much smaller and more akin to a convenience store in the U. S. 

As I wandered through the aisles I saw a bag of popular Icelandic candy.  This particular candy goes by the name of Lakkris and is pretty much licorice and chocolate. 



Now many of you may think that licorice and chocolate don't really go together, but you are wrong.  This candy has a licorice center covered with milk chocolate.  It was yummy and my husband pretty much finished off the entire bag.  

I’ve always made candy with molds so I figured why not try and make some licorice chocolates!  Very soon I will post my experiment in my version of Icelandic candy along with the recipe. 


Till then, happy travels…


3 comments:

Magic Love Crow said...

Sounds so yummy! Please, when you make your version of the candy, share! I really want to know how it turns out! Happy Easter!

maddyrose said...

Not a combination of tastes that would come to mind when thinking of sweet treats but now that you've put the thought in my mind I might have to try making this.

SUSSEXMOUSE said...

I love liquorice. This sounds delicious. Our Daughter is doing a Cookery Course at College. I will ask her to try making some.

Related Posts with Thumbnails