Thursday, December 30, 2010

Air Art




I admit it.  I am afraid to fly. Since I had always felt this way, I was a grown woman with a 10-year-old child before I ever got on a plane.  I realized that my fear of flying was pretty irrational and to face my fear I booked a three-hour flight to visit a friend several states away. 

I have to say my first experience was not the pleasant trip I had hoped it would be.  The plane shook like a maraca.   By the time we landed I was a frazzled mess.  My daughter, cool, calm and collected just laughed. When the time came to leave I seriously considered renting a car and driving back and just forgetting about my round trip ticket.  Considering it would be three days drive, I relented, and did get back on. If I am honest I have to admit the second flight was not as bad, still I was never getting on a plane again.  The years went by with no traveling further than that which would consume a tank of gas.

Then fate smiled, no she laughed right in my face.  I met my future husband and what do you think was his chosen career?  Avionics, in fact he worked for a major airline.  How is that for irony?  What’s even more ironic is the fact that if you work for an airline, then you and your immediate family can fly seats available absolutely free!

The years have passed and I am a frequent albeit sometimes uncomfortable flyer.  I have learned that when a plane shakes it does not mean that I need to get on my knees and start to pray.  I have learned that a thousand mile trip takes two hours by plane, which is the best of enticements.  And I have also learned that it is very comforting to have an aircraft mechanic sitting in the seat opposite you at all times.  No you can’t borrow him, but you can borrow my sage advice.  Relax.

Finally we come to what this post is really getting at, art.  You can find art in places that you would never imagine would contain art.  You just need to know where to look. 



Look out the window from thousands of feet off the ground.  Observe how the earth appears symmetrical and asymmetrical all at the same time.  Did man really do this, did he really build that, and could that little line be a river?   The earth toned colors of the ground rise and fall.  The pure white floating clouds hover just above.  Oh yes, look at the clouds.  In this place lives inspiration.  Here are sights you will never see from the front seat of that old Toyota.   So live, love, laugh and fly…


HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!  WISHING YOU THE BEST IN THE COMING YEAR ;-)

7 comments:

De la Renaissance said...

I have to admit I have never seen beautiful images such as yours in person...yep, I've never flown. I love firm ground under the feet, well, except when I'm on the lake. :0)

A very Happy New Year to you!!!

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are gorgeous! I had never flown until I was 56 years old. And my first flight was from the Midwest to Hawaii. I think it was 11 hours total. Quite an initiation. But I wasn't afraid...more excited for the adventure. Have a wonderful New Year!!!

jamberry_song said...

Awesome! Your husband is a brave man. You are brave, too! It takes courage to overcome one's fears like that. I didn't fly until I was over twenty, and it was terrifying the first trip. When we flew home, I knew better what to expect. You're right, the world passing far below the window is magnificent. None of my pictures turned out as beautiful as yours. They are wonderful!

Lee Pierce said...

Daytime flights across the country are full of wonder and color. I like red eye trips for the illusion that no time is lost in travel. Been flying since 1966 including a super trip to Europe in 67. Food on KLM was a treat. I love travel.
Now, I prefer to go by any other means.

Magic Love Crow said...

Happy New Year!! Beautiful Pictures!

Liz Revit said...

The pictures are beautiful, Crystal. Wishing you a healthy, happy, and prosperous 2011.

Christine said...

Happy new year :) You are braver than me, I can't look out the windows at all!

Related Posts with Thumbnails