Monday, November 12, 2012

Thanksgiving trivia




Thanksgiving will be here before you know it.  While your consuming your Thanksgiving feast, remember all of the things and people for which you are thankful, and just for fun, here is some Turkey day trivia:

The heaviest turkey ever raised was 86 lbs.  Its no wonder commercially raised turkeys cannot fly.

Wild turkeys can fly up to 55 MPH for short distances.

Male turkeys are Toms.  Females are hens. You call a baby fox a kit and a baby kangaroo a Joey, but what do you call a baby turkey?  Poults…you call a baby turkey a poult.  I bet you didn’t know that.

Males gobble…I know you know that…but females, they make a click. 

Turkey’s heads turn colors when  excited.  Sounds like my husband when he is embarrassed.  

Turkeys have heart attacks.  When the USAF conducted tests in breaking the sound barrier nearby turkeys dropped dead from heart attacks.  Yup, it scared them to death.

Turkeys are native in every state…except Alaska.  Guess they will just have to eat Salmon for Thanksgiving.

Turkey breeding causes breasts to become so large that the turkeys fall over.  I always had a feeling breast enlargement wasn’t a great idea!

Commercial turkeys have been bred to have white feathers. 

They actually tan turkey skin in order to make belts and boots, although I can’t imagine anyone admitting to wearing turkey boots.

If Benjamin Franklin had had his way, the turkey and not the eagle would be our national bird.

Did you know that fresh cranberries bounce?  Overripe ones just go splat.  Cranberry growers use this to cull out the bad ones.  Have you got a visual yet of bouncing cranberries?  You know you are going to have to try this right?



5 comments:

Judy Adamson said...

Oh dear, Crystal - all this hilarious talk about turkeys and especially the bouncing cranberries is making my Naughty Pencil restless to get going - but I have work to do!!!!

We don't have Thanksgiving as such in the UK and our Harvest Festival is a very poor substitute - maybe one day, it will cross the pond but in the meantime, I hope you all have a wonderful celebration!

Wanda said...

Crystal, Crystal...You are one funny girl. Have you ever considered stand up comedy??

This was the most hilarious and delightful post ever..

I never had to worry about falling over from heavy boobs...In fact after my Breast cancer.. I have a little one and a bigger one..but their mine...praise the Lord.

Have a great day! You've made mine.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Fun trivia Crystal! Some I knew, most I did not. I guess I would not admit I was wearing a turkey belt or boots either!

Christine said...

Love your turkey painting. interesting facts, I was sorry about them having heart attacks like that!

Magic Love Crow said...

These are fantastic Crystal! I didn't know most of these! You made me laugh about your hubby! LOL! Have a great one ;o)

Related Posts with Thumbnails