Even though I am allergic to practically everything in spring and Summer I still love the outdoors. One of my favorite things to do is to go on a daily walk on the rustic trail by my house. Flora and fauna abound.
Yes, I sneeze and I pump myself full of allergy meds daily. Luckily, I am not allergic to Poison Ivy. (If only at the present time because I am told by my doctor that one can develop an allergy at any time in life) Off the beaten path, the vines hang from every tree. It almost looks as if Tarzan of the apes could just come swinging down…although he might have some trouble holding on while he scratches. Visual, anyone?
So can you identify poison ivy?
The saying goes...“Leaves of three, let them be.”
Ten things to keep in mind, before, during, and after:
1. Immediately wash off all affected areas, heck, take a long shower, but not before you toss all of your clothes in the washer. It is imperative to get rid of the oils that produce the itching.
2. Scrub under your fingernails in case any oil is hiding there!
3. Keep cool, because sweating only makes it worse.
4. Use calamine lotion and Benadryl at night if only to help you to sleep.
5. See a doctor if it is severe.
6. Don’t assume that it is just the leaves…the roots can also give you a severe rash.
7. NEVER BURN POISON IVY! Yes you can get it from breathing the smoke!!
8. Wash that dog if he has been around poison ivy. Petting him will be dangerous to you health.
9. Don’t assume that because you are (like me) currently immune that it will remain that way…stay away from Poison Ivy
10. Learn to identify the plant so you will not inadvertently come in contact.