Thursday, October 16, 2014

What’s in a name?



The names that are the most popular in the 100 years haven’t really changed that much.  Ok if you’re talking about celebrities maybe the names they use are a bit outside the box.  I mean it’s a tad different to name your child after a fruit or a compass point.  It’s a good thing these children go to private schools because I can only imagine how they would fare with other children and the poor teachers struggling to spell or pronounce their names.  Take it from me.  I was named Crystal when it wasn’t popular at all and no teacher, not even my grandmother ever knew how to spell my name.

Me, I’m a traditionalist.  Today is my daughter’s birthday and her name is simple and traditional…Mary.  If she had been a boy (We didn’t know her sex beforehand) her name would have been John.  You may wonder why I chose the name Mary in a sea of Jennifers, Jessicas and Brittanys, Boring, you say?  Maybe, but well used through the last century. The United States Social Security website states that the following names are the five most popular in the last 100 years…

Rank
Name
Number
Name
Number
1
James
4,873,581
Mary
3,696,779
2
John
4,773,654
Patricia
1,566,692
3
Robert
4,676,298
Elizabeth
1,455,480
4
Michael
4,230,343
Jennifer
1,455,078
5
William
3,751,295
Linda
1,446,268


You will notice that Mary and John are both on the list.  John weighs in at number 2 and Mary is number 1.  Funny but I don’t see a Sage, Moon unit, or Maddox on that list anywhere.  Maybe those who want to be different should name their children after Captcha words.  They are unique, many times unpronounceable and most definitely one of a kind!

4 comments:

Faye said...

I totally agree with you. My two were Michael and Susan. Susan used to be in the top names but I don't know where it stands now.

Anonymous said...

ha ha, thats so true , captcha for name suggestions!

Christine said...

I'm a traditionalist too.

Magic Love Crow said...

Happy Belated birthday to your daughter ;o) I know growing up, I didn't know one other Stacy. I think it's more common now. Hugs ;o)

Related Posts with Thumbnails