Summer is pretty much in full swing and the sun worshippers are coming out of their winter doldrums. They are greasing up with oils and lotions and lying out by the pool. They will have their healthy bronze bodies throughout the next few months and me… I’ll be vampire white like always.
Every since I was a teenager I never liked the sizzling feeling of laying in the sun while my body crisps. While all the other girls my age mixed concoctions of baby oil and lay out for hours, I’d duck in the shade.
I know a tanned body supposedly looks attractive but I had my reasons I would avoid the sun.
1. I didn’t care for the odor of suntan oils. Reeking of chocolate and coconut, it seems more appropriate to be lying on a platter than a towel.
2. I felt like I was on a Bar-B-Que grill, flipping sides as needed.
3. Judging from some of the older folk residing in the sunshine state, I didn’t care to look like one of the California raisins’ at 30.
4. It was boring and unproductive. After about 10 minutes I’d think about all the things I could be doing instead of just lying there and sizzling.
5. Super hot temperatures make me long for winter.
6. Finally, I don’t tan, I burn, and although red is one of my favorite colors; it isn’t very attractive on human skin. And seriously, one should only view peeling skin in horror movies.
Now you may think I am full of beans and that a suntan is the ultimate beauty goal, but I’ll bet every single dermatologist agrees with me. So as I exit my home for the next few weeks I will be slathered in unscented 100+ SPF lotion as I dash to my air-conditioned car. I will walk on a treadmill and practice yoga in a cool building. I will wear long sleeves and sit under an umbrella during the rare times I am at the beach. And, sorry about that, but I will look like Dracula’s daughter forever.
Not a sun worshipper? Well to quote a popular TV show..."Winter is coming."