Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Creative Tuesdays--Autumn tales of a Stony man and a black twig


My Black Twig...colored pencil


My favorite time of year (at the moment) is autumn.  So what do I do to further enjoy the crisp and colorful fall days?  I take a little trip up to the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. 

Yesterday my husband and I hiked the trail up stony man mountain to gaze at the colorful valley below.  Stony man you may ask?  When looking at the mountain many people see the silhouette of a bearded man lying down, hence the name.  Can you see him?  If you do you, my husband tells me that you have a creative mind, if you don’t then you are with him.  I must have looked a bit loony as I drew with my finger in the air the shape of the stony man.  My husband just looked at me and said he saw it, but I suspect he was just trying to shut me up.  I think it’s a right brain left brain thing.

Stony Man
                             (click the photo to enlarge to better view the snoozing mountain man)

This yearly sojourn is never over till we pick up some black twig apples. I know, again with the unfamiliar terms.  Black twig apples are an heirloom apple or antique if you wish.  I’m not saying that they are as old as that Chippendale chair in your living room, although they do last a bit longer than other varieties of apples.  I’m just saying that the apple has been around a long, long time. 

Black twig apples are a dark burgundy color.  They are a sweet/tart apple and originated in Tennessee around 1830.  Unfortunately this particular apple is a bit rare and I doubt you will find them sitting in a bin with the macintosh in the old grocery store.  The black twig apple happened to be a favorite of Andrew Jackson and was popular in 19th century Va.  If you keep them in the fridge they will last very long, almost till spring! 



And since the theme for CREATIVE TUESDAYS is Autumn I am linking this post so you can view my quick sketch of my and Pres Andrew's favorite apple, the Black Twig.  Have a great day enjoying the crisp autumn weather!  Now I am going to visit all the other Autumn posts and you should too! 


29 comments:

Jenn Bower said...

I always love your posts and stories. The black twig looks positively delish and gotta love such a hearty variety. Bet they were the best for those 19th century root cellars.

Betsy Brock said...

I see him! But I must confess that without your prompt I would have never. :) He does have quite the long beard, doesn't he?

You apple drawing is lovely. I've never heard of Black Twig apples! I don't think they are available in Ohio.

Anonymous said...

beautiful words and art!

Dolly Daydreams said...

Hi there, I could definitely see the bearded man ! What a gorgeous photo and your words lovely as usual. Your drawing once again sensational. Being lucky enough to enjoy a fabulous piece of art of yours I can appreciate your fantastic art up close and personal.

Marie

maddyrose said...

I really enjoyed this post and nearly went blind trying to see the old man. I've never heard of Black Twig apples and doubt I'll find any here. They must be native to your area. Have a great day. Hugs

Dina Thanki said...

Ah husbands, what will we do with them! Love your apple tho, they look delicious, so shiny too! Unfortunately, I couldn't see the bearded man but I will ask my husband later if he can

Christine said...

your black twig apple is amazing! I've never heard of this kind before.

Unknown said...

I see the man.... black twig apples..fantastic name... We have lost so many apple varieties over the years..have to say the old varieties that I've tasted are sumptuous. It's like comparing Supermarket tomatoes with home grown...no comparison. love your sketch... :)

Morph Waffle said...

Great apple drawing! I want some black twig apples! I like the stony man story and I see him, pretty cool!

Wanda said...

What a great story...when I squinted..I caught a glimpse of the old man and his beard.

Your apple drawing is cool, and I'd love to taste those special apples and make a pie.

Valerie-Jael said...

Love the look of those apples, and of course I can see the man; his nose and chin and beard are clear as a bell! Valerie

Jehanne's doodles said...

What a cool mountain. I see him. He is rather majestic :) Oh yes apples are definitely autumn. We had over first set of baked one yesterday -yum.

Å olanje na domu-Waldorf said...

I must say I cannot see the man. At least not the way I would call him a man. :) Apples look delich. My favorites are the yellow ones I don't know the name of. :)

linda (dots n doodles) said...

I have never heard of these apples before. Your pencil drawing is so lovely and well executed.

Janice said...

Beautiful work on the black twig. I enjoyed the rest of your post as well.

Michael said...

another beautiful rendering from you and certainly works for the theme or Autumn but for me to add this to the montage you will need to follow guidelines and add "Creative Teusdays" to the post title asI almost missed it. thank you. I'll check back later.

Joni Nickrent said...

The perfect sketch for an Autumn prompt! Delicious!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

How I wish we had some of those Black Twig apples around here! I love your sketch & I do see the stony mountain man!

Magic Love Crow said...

I have never heard of the Black Twig Apple?? I wonder if we have them in Canada, I have to look! Oh, I saw the man ;o)

Michael said...

Crystal. :) glad you got that fixed. GReat contribution for our co-op. Ty. I woudl never think of an apple but of course that works perfectly, just as much as a pumpkin or gourd might. Love it.

Michael said...

oh, btw, I def see the old man too! :)

Kristin Dudish said...

Uh-oh... You're seeing things again! Ha! (It's almost as good as the rocking horse tree branch!) Your black twig looks delicious and I always learn such interesting things here!

xo
Kristin

p.s. I posted the "snail tree" I told you about last Wednesday if you're interested. Hee hee!
http://kristindudish.blogspot.com/2011/10/do-you-see-what-i-see.html

Terrie said...

I've never heard of a black twig apple - are they sweet or tart? Your drawing is great.

EVA said...

I see him!!

Lovely apple! I haven't heard of those but anytime I see a new (to me) variety of apple in the store, I always buy at least one to try.

Great apple painting!

Daniella said...

Lovely aceo!! I tried looking for him, and I think I saw him, but I'm stll trying to find out if my right brain works!!
xxDaniella

Anonymous said...

I see him too! :) what a nice hike for you guys! Your wonderful drawing show your patience and creative style! Nice!!

Heather said...

Hi
(sorry i am late!!!)
LOVe the apple....i have to look for that kind...i usually eat 3-4 apples a DAY! they are my favorite food!
I can see the man...they say the same thing about a mt. that i go to in vermont...i love that!
BEAUTIFUL drawing - as always. hope you are enjoying your autumn, my friend! xo

Anonymous said...

Your apple looks yummy. I have never heard of a black twig apple.
And I do see the man on the mountain : )

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

I see him!

Have never had a Black Twig apple. We don't have much of a variety of apples here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails