Monday, February 27, 2012

Salad in a cup




I love the Chinese culture.  I love the Chinese food.  Since my son is visiting from his base in North Dakota we decided to go into the city near Washington D.C. to take in the sights, museums and restaurants. 

His birthday was this past Monday so we went out to have Peking duck at my fave Chinese restaurant.  The meal was delicious and the duck was succulent. 

At the end of the meal the waiter served us all cucumber juice.  Now I have been going to Chinese restaurants all my life and I’ve never had complimentary cucumber juice.  In fact I have never even tasted cucumber juice.  Served in a shot glass we all took a sip. 

As it went around the table, it sounded like this…

Husband:  “It’s like drinking a salad!”

Stepson:  Nose to sniff, and not a sound just a weird face, which is quite normal for him.

Stepdaughter:  a quick tiny sip and a quick put down

(Let it be noted that other than my son and me not very many of my family are veggie eaters)

Son:  “Yum it tastes sweet.”

Me:  “interesting.”

I am sure that there must be a reason for the cucumber juice.  My husband swears that even with his little sip he suffered no heartburn or onion repetition.  Maybe better digestion is the reason.  I have to admit he has a point.  So I think that Pepcid a.c.  better look out because here come the Chinese!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is a new one for me too and Don and I spent a lot of time in Asian restaurants! (years ago that is) as you said, "interesting"!

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

This is a new one for me too. I think you hit the nail on the head with the better digestion reason. Sounds like worth a try :)

Anonymous said...

wow, maybe thats why they serve it, for digestion,Sounds like a lovely outing for sure. Chinese is my fave too!

Christine said...

I'm Chinese originally from Jamaica, but never had this cucumber juice...sounds interesting, although...

Magic Love Crow said...

Very interesting! It's like my Italian friends, they have their salad after dinner. Wonder if it's along the same idea???

Jaime Haney said...

this reminds me of when my dad had a hospital stay and they served him pureed lettuce. His doctor just happened to be in at that time and was grossed out by it, he took it around to all the nurses gagging! haha...

I'm with your hubby. anything cucumber comes back to haunt me in a bad way.

Rita said...

LOL! That may be true, but I'd still pass. Interesting, though. Never heard of drinking cucumber juice. ;)

Loves Happy Hour said...

i've never had cucumber juice from a chinese restaurant either. actually i've never had cucumber juice period. is it any good??

loves happy hour

loveshappyhour.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails