Thursday, April 26, 2012

Leaves of three, let them be


Even though I am allergic to practically everything in spring and Summer I still love the outdoors. One of my favorite things to do is to go on a daily walk on the rustic trail by my house.  Flora and fauna abound. 

“Ah-choo.” 

Yes, I sneeze and I pump myself full of allergy meds daily.  Luckily, I am not allergic to Poison Ivy.  (If only at the present time because I am told by my doctor that one can develop an allergy at any time in life) Off the beaten path, the vines hang from every tree.  It almost looks as if Tarzan of the apes could just come swinging down…although he might have some trouble holding on while he scratches.  Visual, anyone?

So can you identify poison ivy? 

The saying goes...“Leaves of three, let them be.”

Ten things to keep in mind, before, during, and after:

1.     Immediately wash off all affected areas, heck, take a long shower, but not before you toss all of your clothes in the washer.  It is imperative to get rid of the oils that produce the itching.

2.     Scrub under your fingernails in case any oil is hiding there!

3.     Keep cool, because sweating only makes it worse.

4.     Use calamine lotion and Benadryl at night if only to help you to sleep.

5.     See a doctor if it is severe.

6.     Don’t assume that it is just the leaves…the roots can also give you a severe rash.

7.     NEVER BURN POISON IVY!   Yes you can get it from breathing the smoke!!

8.     Wash that dog if he has been around poison ivy.  Petting him will be dangerous to you health.

9.     Don’t assume that because you are (like me) currently immune that it will remain that way…stay away from Poison Ivy

10. Learn to identify the plant so you will not inadvertently come in contact.


13 comments:

craftattack said...

I don't think we have poison ivy over here, but lots of other nasties that cause rashes and sneezes! Valerie

maddyrose said...

I don't spend a lot of time outdoors because my allergies. I'm even allergic to sunshine. Seriously! I'm not sure I'd know poison ivy if it was growing in a pot on my patio. Thanks for thinking of us and giving us all of these helpful tips. Who knows when we may need them. Hugs

Christine said...

I honestly try not to touch too much when I 'm out walking which may be a good thing! Thanks for the tips!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Very true and good to know tips. I am one of those who was never allergic to poison ivy. As my Dermatologist said, "Well, you are now!"

Theanne said...

when I was a kid I had a bad bout with poison oak and/or poison ivy every year...the only reason I probably haven't in years is because my Dad and bitter experience taught me to look out for those 3 glossy leaves! scratch, scratch, scratch!

Betsy said...

I don't get it either...but I'm like you and am sneezing and rubbing my eyes from all the blooms. My oldest just thinks about poison ivy and breaks out! lol.

There is also a lotion called Ivy Block. You put it on before going out and it prevents you from getting it in the first place.

And yes, you can get it from the smoke...my nephew had a horrible case of it in his mouth and lungs from a bonfire that contained some. :(

Magic Love Crow said...

Thank you for all the tips! Some I never knew about! I don't know if I have ever seen poison ivy??

Anne said...

I try to stay away from poison ivy as much as possible. I've never had a reaction to it, but it might be because I haven't come in contact with it. My husband used to be really allergic to it, but after we moved he's had less contact with it and his allergy has gotten less severe. So I guess there's hope for those who have a bad reaction to it.

Maggie said...

Thank you for the tips, I didn't know that some people were unaffected by Poison Ivy! I don't think I'd know what it looked like, even if it was growing in my yard.

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

We have poison ivy in abundance here. Fortunately it doesn't bother me, but it does my poor husband.

I'm allergic to about everything (a recent event of the past 5 years) and have also developed asthma in the last 5 years so the outdoors are no longer my favorite place to be :(

Kristin said...

I am always freaked out by the prospect of poison ivy. Thanks for the helpful tips!

montyandrosie said...

That was interesting - thank you for the pic - I've heard about poison ivy for years but I don't think we have it over here. It doesn't look like what I think of as ivy, but it does sound like something to avoid at all times!

Cowgirl Red said...

Good advice. I'm allergic to lots of stuff outside. I just take Claritin, Benadryl and hope I can find the Epi Pen if I need it. Terah

Related Posts with Thumbnails