Sunday, September 2, 2012

Spider time-- or Swipe before you step




I know it’s getting close to fall because the other day when I went out on my deck and started to descend the stairs into the back yard, I walked smack dab into a spider web.  How creepy is that?  I screamed as if I was being murdered and my husband, rushed to my defense only to discover me flailing about brushing and shaking like I was having a seizure. He just kind of laughed until he went to take the trash out a day later and did the exact same thing. 

I don’t know the scientific reason but it always seems that in the fall the spiders go on a web-building frenzy. I don’t even have to decorate for Halloween; the spiders do it for me.  They are busy weaving their webs everywhere but their favorite places always seem to be right across any pathway that humans will use.

Maybe it’s because of my porch light being on and attracting tasty morsels for them.  Or maybe they just want to get their act together before the first frost.  Maybe it’s because I live where there are a lot of trees and woods behind my house.  Maybe they set their sites on  large game...really large game. Whatever the reason, anytime I exit any door I must be vigilant and swipe before I step, preferably with a broom handle and not any part of my anatomy.

Hopefully soon their obsessive web building will subside and I will be able to exit my home any time of the day or night without fear.

If you would like to make a spider out of a recycled K-cup like the photo above just visit my other blog at   Recycled K-cup Halloween Spider

8 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

I hate spiders. I never go onto my balcony unless I am armed with my broom! Valerie

Wanda said...

They love my patio "year round", I power spay the webs down, and the next day they are back...They are relenless when it comes to making webs.

Christine said...

I have a lot of spiders too, but it's because I don't dust well! lol.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Same thing happens to me! I do enjoy the ones that are spun outside my kitchen window (which I do not open)--they are gorgeous!

maddyrose said...

The same thing happens around here. There are always spider webs spun across the exits of my house and garage. I think it's because the spiders just get a kick out of us thrashing around and screeching. As long as they don't get bashed it's priceless entertainment for them. Happy Labor Day weekend. Hugs

Maggie said...

LOL, I totally understand where you're coming from! I opened my front door the other day and a HUGE spider was hanging right in the center. I'm glad I opened it slowly. If I hadn't been trying to keep my cat inside, I'd have stepped right into it. I carefully closed the door and went for the bug spray! I found another one a few nights ago hanging from the back of my wall mounted TV! I don't know how it got inside... I may have to move!

Magic Love Crow said...

So funny Crystal! The same thing happens here! One day when I came outside, I was amazed how many they had did everywhere. All over the trees, through the fence, around the chairs. They had a party! LOL! Hope you are having a great weekend ;o)

Betsy Brock said...

haha...oh, that is so true....webs in the fall...then they come inside in the winter! Eeeek!

Related Posts with Thumbnails