Friday, May 31, 2013

Abcdefghi…we come to J. J is for jonquil





 Gee, this ABC book is getting harder.  Hmmm what could J be for?  How about Jonquil? Well, I’ve always heard that some people call a certain yellow flower a daffodil while others call it a Jonquil.  Still others insist it is a narcissus.  So what is the difference?
 In some parts of the country any yellow daffodil is called a jonquil, usually incorrectly. As a rule, but not always, jonquil species and hybrids are characterized by several yellow flowers, strong scent, and rounded foliage. The hybrids are confined to Division 7 and the term "jonquil" should be applied only to daffodils in Division 7 or species in Division 13 known to belong to the jonquil group.”
Source: American daffodil society
The name Narcissus comes from the Greek myth.  It seems that Narcissus was a very handsome and vain hunter. Echo, a nymph, fell hopelessly in love with him.  He wasn’t interested, however, and instead looked into a pond where he fell in love with his own reflection.  Eventually he died and in his place was a beautiful flower—a Narcissus.
So what is it, jonquil, daffodil or narcissus? It's an apples and oranges conundrum it seems.
You can decide, but in my ABC book J is for Jonquil-- whatever it is.



4 comments:

Christine said...

that's a new word for me!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

LOL, now that you mention it, I'm not really sure what a Jonquil is either! I always called them Daffodils and those with smaller as in shorter trumpets, Narcissus.

Magic Love Crow said...

Very interesting! I have heard of them all and I never new they were all the same? LOL! Great information, thanks Crystal ;o) Take Care ;o)

Judy Adamson said...

I've always thought the jonquils were the ones with several flowers on one stalk, often white with a rather flat orange trumpet. But I don't have any reason to that's correct! In fact, the word 'jonquil' isn't often heard - although I used to include it in spelling lists of words ending in 'il' - of which there aren't a lot so I needed it to make the list up to a nice, round number! The children I taught always asked what it meant and I just told them it was a kind of daffodil (another word ending in 'il'!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails