Monday, May 14, 2012

A Hint from Crystal-oise




Ever buy something on impulse (yes impulse is my middle name) just because you love it.  Today I bought two of those cool, but a bit overpriced tumblers that are supposed to keep a drink cold or hot longer. I get them home and set about removing the price tickets but after scrubbing and tearing, washing and peeling, all I have to show for it is some gummy, gooky, and sticky residue.   Have I used enough adjectives yet?  No, ok let me add a few more.  The gooey, tacky mess just wouldn’t come off. 

 So I try other methods like nail polish remover with no luck.  The stickiness has spread and I find that I don’t even have to grasp the tumblers to pick them up, all I need do lay my palm on the goop and lift.   Got a visual?

Frustrated, I put both tumblers back in the bag with the intention of taking a trip (did I mention it was raining?) back to the store to return them.  Before I do, though, my husband tells me to Google ways to remove the mess. It figures that he would be logical.

I laugh at the suggested methods, everything from mayonnaise to lighter fluid to toothpaste. It seems this is not such an unusual problem.  Just to appease the logical Mr. Spock I am married to, I try what I think is the most outlandish suggestion—peanut butter.

IT WORKED…IT FREAKING TOOK IT ALL OFF AND I’M NOT KIDDING!!!!

So the next time you get one of those fiendish stubborn price tickets get out the Jiff-- problem solved in a Jiffy.

15 comments:

Rona Gregory said...

LOL! Picture if you will a very tired (just been walking for over an hour -uphill for the last part I might add) woman in a red nightshirt with big black moose print all over jumping up and down saying "I know, I know! Yes that was me as I started to read your post and as I scrolled down to leave my pearls of wisdom was instantly deflated when I saw the words "Peanut Butter"! Haha!

I works best with crunchy tho not smooth!

Magic Love Crow said...

LOL! Crystal, you are too cute! I would have never thought of Peanut Butter! That is a new one!!! I do appreciate you telling us, because I will be using it! LOL! Wait till I tell me mom ;o) Have a great one ;o)

Anonymous said...

well I'll be darned, never would have thought that!

Valerie-Jael said...

Hmmm, I need my peanut butter on my toast! It is so expensive over here that I am not going to waste it! Valerie

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Your husband is a genius! PB--who would have thought it would work? I will definitely try it next time!

Lee Pierce said...

<3 it! I always used lighter fluid but have no smokers here anymore (yay) so pb it is! Thanks ;-)

Christine said...

I'll have to remember this one! you don't say...peanut butter!

Judy Adamson said...

I'd have to try the toothpaste or the Jif - my crunchy peanut butter is just far too precious!!!

maddyrose said...

Just one more reason to keep plenty of peanut butter in the pantry.

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

LOL good to know! :)

Dee

Anne Butera said...

Ah-ha! Didn't know the peanut butter trick. Though I remember hearing about using it to remove gum that gets stuck in your hair. Guess it's a panacea of sorts!

Love the photos of the birds (and squirrel) at the Capital from your last post. That pigeon is so pretty.

Daniella said...

They say it gets gum out of hair too, so why not goo from price tags!
I've only used alcohol (rubbing, not vodka) to get gum out of hair and goo off of glasses. Am I alone with the alcohol? Did you try it? Now I am curious!!!
They look very fun though!
xxDaniella

M.Hilton said...

That's really funny! Peanut Butter! I'll have to remember that :) Following back from Feed me Friday!

Maggie said...

LOL, I wouldn't have thought that peanut butter would work! Now I wonder, what would you use to get peanut butter out of something?
Love the tumblers!

De la Renaissance said...

Never would have thought of peanut butter!

I always use a bit of fresh packing tape...tab it over and over again on the stuck glue. (Sometimes Scotch tape works also). Seems to grab ahold of it and pull it off, as the glue sticks to the tape instead of smearing around on the item you're trying to clean.

Related Posts with Thumbnails