Its Wednesday, middle of the week and time for another quick and easy craft project J
The best value for gift-giving these days seems to be a simple gift card. It allows the recipient to go to a store they like and choose an item they actually want and can use. As an added bonus most of the times after the holidays are over, many of the same items purchased a week previously are marked down. The main drawback is the impersonal nature of the gift card itself. Why not make an easy to create gift card holder that fits the person to whom the gift is intended? A gift card holder that is also an ornament is a gift in itself. This project is easy so why not make few with your children? You can even put a small Holiday wish note in the pocket instead of a gift card if desired.
Gift Card Holder
You will need:
Felt in desired color, embossed felt is a nice touch.
Card stock, in white or a coordinated color
9 inches of thin gold cord
Tacky glue ( I recommend tacky glue since it has a thicker consistency and does not bleed through the felt)
Small jingle bell or button for closure
Decorative buttons, felt or foam shapes or miniature trinkets (This is the area to personalize for the recipient.)
1. Cut the card stock into a 6-inch by 8-inch rectangle.
2. Fold the cardstock in half meeting end to end.
3. Rotate and fold in half again. (See photo)
|Turn and fold again|
4. Open the folded piece of cardstock. Fold up the lower right hand corner using the fold line as a guide. (See photo) Refold the card. You have formed a little pocket. Put a dab of glue at the lower corner to secure the pocket.
5. Cut a piece of felt for the cover 6-inches by 4-inches.
6. Cut two pieces of gold cord, 5 inch for the hanging cord and 4 inch for the closure.
7. Turn the folded cardstock over and put a dab of glue on the back center fold. Make sure the pocket opening is facing up on the left side. Make a loop with the 5-inch gold cord and glue to the top.
8. Continuing on the back of the card, measure two inches down from the left side, make a loop with the 4-inch gold cord and attach. This will be the closure loop. Check to make sure the pocket is positioned correctly.
9. Spread a generous amount of tacky glue onto the entire back and attach the felt. Let dry.
10. Glue a button or small jingle bell onto the front of the card holder to correspond with the gold closure cord and let dry.
11. Decorate the front of the holder. Using the tacky glue attach buttons, felt or foam shapes or any miniature trinkets as desired.