Every so often creativity takes a vacation. When this happens there are several things I do to jumpstart it again. Sometimes it works, sometimes it takes a bit more but hey, nothing beats a try right?
1. Go on a Hike. The mountains around Virginia are invigorating and inspiring. The scenery and wildlife can be awe inspiring. The key word is inspired.
2. Go to an art supply, craft, or home improvement store. I know it sounds weird that I have included a home improvement store here but honestly the things they stock there can make the mind think outside the box so to speak.
3. Visit an art gallery or museum. Sometimes viewing great art and creations start ones own ball rolling in new and different ways.
4. Get in touch with ones inner child. Remember the freedom of expression when you were seven and told to create something? You will never hear a child say they can’t, all children are artists, and there is no right or wrong way to do something.
5. Get plenty of rest. A tired mind cannot think straight much less create.
6. Leave the stress of daily life somewhere other than your creative spaces.
7. Listen to music. Choose genre’s that soothe rather than rev up. Let it be an accompaniment and not the main event.
8. Try a new medium. I am not only talking about the visual arts here. If you are cook try a new recipe, an artist a new paint, a writer a new form. Experiment.
9. Be kind to oneself. Don’t be your own worst critic. Remember that all creative endeavors are relative.
10. Finally, go out and get a new box of 64 crayons. Open that box and take a whiff of that familiar aroma. It never fails to create a smile and spark the imagination.
If you have any more tips to add to my list I would love to hear them. Thanks and I’ll be wishing everyone endless creativity.