Monday, August 9, 2010


You hear the word “Green” everywhere these days.  People are becoming more and more aware of the environment and the effect that they themselves can have upon it.  We bring our own bags to the grocery stores in lieu of plastic.  Bottles and cans are recycled on suburban streets and from what I hear, made into sweaters and picnic tables.

I have always been one to create things from nothing.  I have made usable items from brown paper bags, and discarded items.  I have created from nature’s bounty.  I have ground up my junk mail into molded paper ornaments.  It was only a matter of time before I would find yet another recycling outlet. 

How many of us have visited a local home improvement store and picked up paint chip samples for one project or another.  We may take a few more than needed in order to decide the correct color.  Some of us just cannot part with these miniature pieces of paint in various colors.  Some of us file them in color schemes to be used at later dates.  What, you may ask can you use these samples for?

Well, I have finally found a way.  My technique is easy enough for anyone to imitate.  I simply draw a picture on a piece of heavyweight paper.  I then cut and glue small snippets of color to the drawing.  It matters not whether the colors are exact or the drawing perfect.  One could create abstract images or cartoons to fit individual tastes.

Something destined for the landfill becomes a work of art.  When you are satisfied with the result you simply coat the image with some acrylic matte finish.  You can mat and frame it just as it is or give in dimension in a shadow box.

This can be a perfect thing to keep the kids busy on a rainy day.  Just Supply some paint chip samples, glue, scissors and paper and see what happens. 

Pictured here just a sampling of some of my paint chip creations.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails